Make-A-Wish Portugal gives hope to children who are living with a critical illness continuously. In order to reach our goal, we work closely with children and their families to identify their most heartfelt wish and to plan and prepare for the wish experience. We work with healthcare professionals and other community partners to ensure that the wish experience is appropriate and aligned with the child’s medical treatment plan.
Grant life-changing wishes
The importance of wish granting
Wish granting can be an impactful and meaningful experience for children with life-threatening medical conditions and their families. The process of making and receiving a wish can provide a sense of hope, joy, and normalcy during a difficult time, and can help to improve the overall quality of life for children and their families. The experience of having a wish granted can also provide a sense of accomplishment and empowerment for children, and can serve as a source of motivation and strength during their treatment and recovery.
The Wish Journey process at Make-A-Wish Portugal
The Wish Journey is the process that a child and their family go through when working with Make-A-Wish Portugal, to make and receive a wish. The specific steps involved in the Wish Journey process may vary depending on the individual circumstances of the child and their family. This is what the wish process can look like:
- Referral: A child is referred to Make-A-Wish Portugal by a healthcare professional or parent/guardian.
- Eligibility check: Make-A-Wish Portugal determines if the child meets the eligibility criteria for receiving a wish.
- Wish capture: The child and their family work with a wish granter (a trained volunteer or staff member) to identify their most heartfelt wish.
- Wish design: Skilled and passionate Wishgranters will work with the child and their family to design a unique wish experience, tailor-made for them.
- Wish anticipation: Excitement builds as the child learns about and looks forward to their wish!
- Wish realization: The child’s wish is granted, and the wish experience is celebrated and shared with the child’s family and community.
- Wish effect: The positive impact of a wish lasts long after the wish has been granted. A wish fulfilled grants children the emotional and psychological benefits they need to fight their critical illness. For some, it is often the turning point in their treatment as it can greatly improve their quality of life and produce better health outcomes.
Eligible wish children
To be eligible for a wish from Make-A-Wish, a child must be between the ages of 3 and 17 years old and have a life-threatening medical condition. A life-threatening medical condition is defined as any progressive, degenerative, or malignant condition that is life-threatening and requires medical intervention. Make-A-Wish also requires that a child be able to understand the concept of a wish and be able to participate in the wish process.
Give hope and donate today
Donating to Make-A-Wish Portugal can help our Affiliate to continue its mission of granting the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. There are several ways that you can donate to Make-A-Wish Portugal, including:
- Making a one-time donation: You can make a one-time donation to Make-A-Wish Portugal through the website or by contacting them directly.
- Becoming a monthly donor: You can sign up to make monthly donations to Make-A-Wish Portugal through the website or by contacting them directly.
Grant life-changing wishes
What are the steps to refer a child to Make-A-Wish Portugal?
Referring a child living with a critical medical condition to Make-A-Wish Portugal is a fairly easy practice. Any relative of the child, including parents, siblings, family members, friends, and medical professionals can send in an application for a wish. It is important to note that only children between the ages of 2½ and 18 years old, living with a critical disease and no record of granted wishes in the past are eligible. When these conditions are met, a wish granter will contact and visit the family and the Wish Journey will commence.
Can I become a wish granter at Make-A-Wish Portugal?
Yes, you can absolutely support Make-A-Wish Portugal in granting children’s wishes by becoming a wish granter. As a wish granter, you will support the Wish Journey at various steps along the path. There are numerous other ways to contribute to the goal of Make-A-Wish. Donating directly is one option. Volunteering your time to fundraise and organize donation-gathering events can also help. Every contribution makes a difference and simplifies the path to granting wishes. Make-A-Wish thanks its generous donors and dedicated volunteers who assist us in granting the wishes of children facing critical illnesses. With the support of doctors, parents, donors, volunteers, and the entire team, these wishes can become a reality.
How can Make-A-Wish Portugal make an impact on the lives of children living with a life-threatening illness
Make-A-Wish Portugal strives to grant the wishes of children facing critical illnesses. This journey can have a profound impact on these children’s lives by providing them with joy, hope, and a break from the hospital and medical treatments. The realization of their wishes boosts their mental well-being and has been shown to improve their response to treatment. Medical evidence and professionals endorse the concept that wishes can improve a child’s well-being. Our Medical Advisory Committee members affirm the positive impact of wishes on patients and families, going further than just providing medical needs.
What can I expect of the wish granting process at Make-A-Wish Portugal?
Make-A-Wish Portugal follows a process for granting a wish to eligible children living with a critical illness. First, the received applications for the children are screened and those meeting eligibility criteria are considered. Next, a meeting with the child and their family will occur, followed by a consultation with the child’s doctor to ensure the wish granting process won’t harm their health. During this time the Wish Capture and Wish Design will take place.
During the Wish Anticipation phase the family waits for Make-A-Wish to
contact volunteers and donors to help realize the child’s most heartfelt wish. When all people and resources are gathered, the wish is granted during Wish Realization. The wish can have a lasting positive effect that can be experienced long after the wish has been granted. This phase is called the ‘Wish Effect.’